Saturday, September 8, 2018

2019.09.07 Day #7 - Peter, the Lost Boy

We set up a little babysitting co-op a couple of years ago with another couple. Later we added another couple and we swap different weeks either making dinner for kids and entertaining them or being the couple who gets to go out on a date.

While watching 3 extra little boys tonight, suddenly there were only 2 extra little boys. They were all playing outside... I was making cookies... Brett was out there weeding and checking on kids intermittently, and boom... Peter was gone!

We searched our street. We looked in backyards. We talked to neighbor kids who were outside, and though they were willing, they weren't much help. I drove around to neighboring streets... could not see him! Keep in mind this kid just turned 3 is very, very quiet, and doesn't know us super well. He could have been standing behind a bush with me calling for him and I'd never know!!!

I called his mom - I told her what happened - date night ruined! And they hadn't had one in a long time to top it off! They were on their way home, as I searched the streets again. I went past his house again, and this time I saw his awesome neighbor outside, and I just knew she had found him! He had walked home! A 3-year-old! From an unfamiliar house to his own street, crossing at least one, possibly 2 roads.

I felt the gauntlet of emotions, let me tell you! Anxiety, fear, frustration at my own stupidity, anxiety again, and again... then joy when I saw that he was found!

Heavenly Father must feel even more joy when he sees a neighbor finding one of his lost children! And then tries to tell us to stay close to him from then on!

We feel so so sorry! I certainly hope that if we are trusted again, that they know we have learned our lesson! We will keep an eagle's eye on that kiddo and stick to him like glue!

No comments: