Sunday, September 9, 2018

2018.09.09 Day #9 - Smells

I've been doing some canning projects, which if you follow this rambling bramble of words you may know. And as always, I'm reminded of some of my favorite, and not so favorite smells...



Cooked peaches - that's a good one! I'm reminded of all the times I helped my mom peel peaches. She would man the stove and I would pull up the sink of cold water.

Cooking tomatoes - used to hate it! Now it's not so bad... I don't know why this one is so much different from peaches. Same memories of cooking and peeling, but boy oh boy, I hated the smell of tomato sauce on the stove for hours. So gross! As I've made some this year though, I've gotten more and more used to it, and it doesn't even disgust me anymore... weird.

Grass, gasoline, and sweat - My favorite, though I'm sure the ratio of the 3 ingredients is important. My dad's a little perfectionistic about his lawn mowing and he does it frequently! Again, it's one of my favorite memories growing up - Dad coming in smelling like grass, gas, and sweat. I used to mow with him at both of my grandma's houses growing up, and now that smell reminds me of them as well. I still love that smell - Brett should bottle it...

What will my kid's favorite smells be? I'm not sure... I actually have a worry that ours will be that neighbor's house that smells funky most of the time. I kind of have a phobia about that.


No comments: