Thursday, December 15, 2011

University of Utah or Duke?

This is more for journaling purposes, but you're welcome to peer into and respond to my musings:
So we were going off of incomplete info earlier, if you saw the FB/G+ posts.  It turns out that the U of U is also 2 years, not 3, so it doesn't make a big difference with finishing time to go to the U of U or Duke.  That cuts out one of the largest advantages Duke had over the U. 
The quick back story:  I'm applying for a Nursing Informatics Master's program.  So far, I've applied for the U of U and Duke, just because their deadlines came first.  Duke accepted me this week.  They also had 2 scholarships for full-tuition + stipend, which I applied for, and was one person away from getting.  If one of the other two drop out, I get it -- but honestly -- why would they do that?  I wouldn't.  As for the U of U, their applications aren't even due until January 15th, so I need to respond to Duke long before the U even looks at my application.  The U of U is $20K.  Duke is $50K, minus a $10K scholarship they're offering = $40K.
Duke Pros
U of U Pros
[A big pro for Duke] Duke is guaranteed acceptance -- I already know I'm in, whereas I don't have any guarantee from the U about that yet (although we think we have a decent shot at it).  If I say 'No' to Duke, and the U says 'No' to me, then I'm paying lots of money and wasting lots of time for a not-as-notable-as-it-could-have-been-for-the-buck school.

Duke is apparently a whole lot more "prestigious" than I was aware of when I applied, which may have some benefit in getting a job?  Maybe?  Although I'm not sure it's $20,000 worth of benefit...  Then again, I'm the one who had to look up Duke when I applied to see if it was a respectable, well-known, established school.  That shows you what I know about it.  Will I be able to get a job with the U of U?  Oh yeah.  Will there be any reasonable advantage Duke has over the U there?  I doubt it.

Duke starts in January (done a little sooner)

[A big pro for U of U] $20,000 less than Duke.  Duke is $40K.  The U of U is half the price.  I could buy 2 good cars with that money.  Or lots of skittles.

I imagine that the U already has connections with local companies/sites and might be able to better organize and place "internship" type opportunities, although I doubt Duke would have much problem with getting placements in places.

If I plan on the U, and one of the 2 people that got the Duke scholarships drops out (which won't happen), then I get the scholarship and can go back to Duke and not pay for it!.

I already know that I like the U of U.



Katie and I have been trying to weigh the pros and cons of each.  It boils down to this:  It definitely makes the most logical sense to hold out for the U of U.  My biggest fear, of course, is that if they say 'no,' we get to delay school for that much more and probably pay lots of cash for school that I could have been putting toward Duke. 

And we've got a few days left to decide. 

Someone tell me what to do.  Thanks.

8 comments:

Holly said...

I know it's the typical sunday school answer, and that you're probably already doing it, but have you fasted and been to the temple about this?

When Dave and I were trying to decide about various jobs to take or not take, we would fast and pray and not feel anything. So then we'd take a little step...and then another...in the dark and things would end up working out for us.

I have to say, hold out for the U of U. Yeah, it's a little less prestigious than Duke. But you guys don't really ever want to leave Utah, right? And the U is extremely prestigious in Utah. And there is the whole $20K difference. Those skittles are essential.

You'll get into U of U. It will be okay.

Andrea said...

Wow....lots to think about. I like how you wrote out the pros for both schools. You've thought this through of course. I'm sure you two will make the right choice!

Kristin said...

Holy cow, you got into Duke? Way to go! (Whether or not you feel that going there is the right choice... that is really cool!) Sorry I am no help at all, but I'm sure you guys will make the right choice! :)

Marilyn said...

Just mom here. You forgot the pro for Duke that would put you done 19 months ahead of the U of U...making money. And I think this could be like trying to get into nursing school in Utah vs anywhere else in the nation: It is much harder here. So you don't KNOW that you will get in here. I figure that you will get in to the U of U...but I have been wrong before.

Marilyn said...

What Holly says...absolutely!

Katie Groneman said...

Actually, we did our calculations wrong - Duke would only be about 6 months (spring and summer term) ahead of the U. And this particular program is not nearly as competitive as other U programs - there aren't that many nurses also interested in computers oddly enough. I'm glad - just makes more room for m'Bert.

Cambrienelson said...

wow. tough choice. Reminds me of our Illinois vs Redding CA choice.

Surly if Bert was awesome enough to almost get the scholarship at duke then that means he will get into the U.

Unknown said...

Hmmm. Tough choice. How long can you leave Duke hanging? Of course, you could always accept Duke's offer and then pull out if you get into the U. It may not be the nicest thing to do, but I doubt it would be the first time it happened to them. That's why they have wait-lists, right? Good luck with this decision. I'm excited to hear what you decide.