Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pedometer

I asked for a pedometer for Christmas. I'm not sure why I did this... who wants to be continuously reminded at how little they move in a day? On days where I went to the grocery store or when I went to do returns from some Christmas stuff, I averaged 4,500 steps as opposed to the 1,000 that I got one day last week when I was feeling sick and basically sat around reading "The Help" all day. I decided to look up how many steps you're supposed to get...

Most things on the web suggest 10,000 steps a day. From fitsugar.com (a reputable sounding site, I know...) there's a little more detail:

  • Women:
    Age 18-40: 12,000 steps per day
    Age 40-50: 11,000 steps per day
    Age 50-60: 10,000 steps per day
    Age 60 plus: 8,000 steps per day
  • Men:
    Age 18-50: 12,000 steps per day
    Age 50 +: 11,000 steps per day

I'm not even making the 60+ requirement! Sheesh! Time to pull out my walking shoes.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting in a frightening way. Are you still running? If so, did those steps count?

Erica said...

I used to wear a pedometer when I was working. Got lots of steps back then. I'm sure I'm back to your level (probably worse) now. Interesting! I bet it'll get better when the weather warms up.

Thanks for motivating me to work out more!