Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Boren Family Fiesta!!!

My two out-of-town sisters came home for about a week a little while ago, and we decided to have a family fiesta! We usually have a BBQ with hamburgers, hot dogs, cheese bread, chips, etc. But I thought it would be fun to do something a little different - and amazingly enough, Mom said, "Yeah, that would be fun." And so instead of the normal BBQ food, we had Cafe Rio burritos like we had at Brett sister, Christa's house a few weeks ago. We made sweet shredded pork, had some black beans, cheese, lettuce, etc. and had the cilantro lime rice (recipe by Brett's other sister, Cambrie), on the side, along with classic chips and salsa.

We made coffee filter flowers with the kids that we put up on the deck, and saved a few for our hair.
Boren ladies with flowers in their hair.

But my favorite part was the pinata. You've got to understand... when I take on a project like a pinata, I go all out. I had a blast making it and then watching it be destroyed. I was pretty proud of how well it held up to the beating. All the grandkids got a few swings at it (all besides the babies, of course). My nephew, Spencer, ended up being the one to completely bust it in the end.

El alma de la fiesta - the life and soul of the party...yup, that's us!!!

I really did love that fish...
Ben was hilarious - he did a lot of serious overhand swipes at the poor fish, but didn't do much damage.


Part of the line-up... hoping it doesn't break before their turn.



Spencer, with the killing stroke.



The aftermath...



I think this is Jordan - I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want a pinata on my head - sounds dangerous to me.





7 comments:

Gramps said...

That looks like great fun! That pinata was amazing...never seen one made with as much tender loving care.

Ray Bee said...

What a lovely pinata, KT! And all with the intention of imminent destruction. (Maybe Dory in "Finding Nemo" was a pinata model, took a few blows, and that would explain her memory problem....) It looks like everyone had fun, and the photo of the "girls" is a classic! (I didn't know Sarah came to town, as well.)

Katie Groneman said...

It was pretty amazing - we were all there except Don and Ali's kids.

Marilyn said...

yes, I would have to say that I have never seen a shoddy job on anything that Katie did! She is amazing with some of the stuff she does! Fun pictures, even if it did include the destruction of the worlds greatest pinata!

Katie Groneman said...

... I forgot that Kelli, and the older girls weren't there either because of girl's camp... So never mind - it wasn't like we were all there (with that many people, it just felt like it).

Christa said...

I am so impressed with your pinata skills. It looks like it took forever to make-- did it? Awesome fiesta. Good job, guys!

Cambrienelson said...

Wow girl! I'm impressed! I hope to start a tradition of a turkey piniata for thanksgiving. All future turkeys are put to shame by your fish!

Fun post