Saturday, September 3, 2011

No ZZZZZs for Katie

I need help... I can't sleep...

I've always had sleep issues, but now I feel like I can't do anything about it (I used to take half an OTC sleep aid, and that seemed to kind of work). I don't know if there's a medication I can take that won't hurt the baby and won't knock me out so soundly that I don't wake for her to eat (she still wakes up somewhere between midnight and 3am). I used to be able to fall asleep, but couldn't stay asleep... now I'm not sleeping either way. (By the by... I'm pretty sleep deprived, and if my sentences don't make sense, it's to be expected).

Lindy is sleeping much better (she's been sleeping about 12 hours with one feeding in there somewhere), but by the time I get to sleep, 6 or 7am seems much too early for her to be waking up. I'm afraid I'm turning into an eternally grumpy mom and wife.

I feel tired and try to go to sleep, but can't. Then if I do manage to nod off, I wake up at every sound - the baby whining in her sleep, Brett rolling over... etc. and then I'm stuck awake again. And then the next night, I'm scared to death of a repeat, and end up with a self-fulfilled prophesy - I CAN'T SLEEP!

Any advice? Thoughts? Prescription medication?

6 comments:

Emily said...

I'd first ask for a Priesthood blessing. Then I'd got so your doctor. I've had sleep issues for as long as I can remember. I finally went to the doctor and she ordered a sleep test. I don't have the results yet, but I hope we're able to find some answers and get me some sleep. I wish I'd asked her about it earlier.

Anna said...

My first thought is that Melatonin would help--it's a naturally occurring hormone and if your body doesn't produce enough of it it can be very difficult to sleep. But after a quick google search, it looks like it's generally not good to take if you're nursing. Still, you may want to talk to your doctor about it, because it might not be any worse than any prescription medications that your doctor could give you. But I wouldn't take it without a doctor's approval.

Second, after getting a blessing, you could send little Lindy over here and I could watch her while you take a nap. :) It would be good practice for Caleb and me to see what life is like with another baby. :)

Marilyn said...

Since you have had issues for so long, it probably isn't this, but have they checked your thyroid levels recently? I would have your doctor check you over...it could be a simple fix of something you are deprived of. I would also put your name on the prayer roll at the temple, and as tomorrow is fast Sunday, you and anyone else who is fasting could fast for an improvement there. I will do that. Kim says he sleeps better if he drinks a glass of milk before bedtime (Dr recommended it). I would also recommend finding online some relaxation methods...what used to keep me awake in part was the stress of knowing how miserable my life was when I didn't sleep. If you are tense about it, you won't sleep. The tape I used to listen to wasn't a cure, since I was hypothyroid, but it did help. And, lastly, WHILE I was Pregnant with Breanna, the Dr put me on Halcion, which worked GREAT...but it can become addicting and I was worried about my baby, so I would take one 1 night and sleep, and then I wouldn't & miss the next 2 nights sleep, and then I would take another one...

Unknown said...

Maybe you already do this, but if you haven't, first you should put Lindy to sleep in another room close by and leave the doors open but turn off the baby monitor. Baby noises woke me up all the time, too. Doing that really helped me. Maybe you could consider sleeping in a separate bed from Brett for awhile too until you are better rested.

I'm sorry that you are having such a rough time sleeping! It's so hard to be functional let alone pleasant when you are not getting enough sleep! I hope it gets better soon!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kate!

I totally know how you feel. One thing that has helped me is exercising. Even an hour before bed I will run or do something to exhaust me. THen do my bedtime routine somy body will clue in to bedtime. I've started eating better and that actually has helped a lot too.

If not call me I am always up for 2 am ice cream runs!!

Unknown said...

For the record, I asked Katie if I should sleep on the air mattress, and she said it didn't matter because she can't sleep on the nights when I'm working too...

Katie, sounds like you need to go get that massage... And ice cream too.