Monday, July 12, 2010

Quilt

My sister, Alison was in town at the end of May - beginning of June, and she made a super cute baby blanket for her little girl due in October. I thought it looked like a fun summer project - so I dragged my other sister, Anne, out to go fabric shopping with me. I originally went looking for fabric that would be unisex for whatever our first baby ends up being..... whenever that happens. But none of the fabric at the store really struck me, except for the "Americana" stuff - so that's what I bought. Not really babish, but I like it. And so the cutting and sewing began!

I spent approximately 6-8 hours cutting (I kind of stopped keeping track), but had my mom's rotary cutter to do it, so it wasn't as bad as having to do it all by hand with scissors. Then I spent a few hours getting the pieces stacked up perfectly and pin it right (the front, the back, and the middle). But once that was done, it really didn't take long to sew it all up. Then came the couple of hours cutting the seams.

This is by far the most painful part - literally.

I remember my other sister, Sarah (wow... they are all mentioned in this post), making me a fleece throw with the cut edges back in high school. She complained after doing the cutting that the side of her thumb was numb for days afterward. I understand more fully what she meant now. The side of my thumb is still numb and tingly if I press it - and I finished cutting about 2 days ago.

All in all I'd say it took me 18ish hours to make - I dunno, I didn't do it all at once (sorry for leaving the floor a mess with it all laid out in order for a few days, Brett).

So that was my summer project, and it's only mid-July... Good thing I have extra scraps and a desire to make tossable bean bags for school... and maybe a table runner...

7 comments:

Holly said...

I love it! I have always wanted to make a cut-edge quilt but the fear of how my thumb would end up has kept me from doing it. Your fabrics are beautiful. Yay for summer projects!

Erica said...

How fun! And talk about adorable!!! If you ever want to quilt together, let me know. I love projects like this! :) You've inspired me.

Gramps said...

It's cool how those seams turned into wavy fuzz. I didn't catch the vision when you were trying to explain it ahead of time. Really nice. You just made a family heirloom.

Cambrienelson said...

awesome!! I've never made a quilt. You've got me beat!

Marilyn said...

I'd never seen a quilt done like that and it really is SO CUTE! But don't hold your breath ladies...you are not likely to get one of those for Christmas from this mom or mom in law!

Christa said...

I love it! Great work! Lucky baby!

Alison Ward said...

SO STINKING CUTE!!! Now I wish I'd made mine like this :-) Very adorable Kate, great pick of fabrics too. You da Woman!