Thursday, November 12, 2009

Ice Cream with 8th Graders


So... today my 8th graders made ice cream (they've been studying "phase changes" - it fits into the curriculum, right?). They had a blast of course, but the room also became a huge mess. There's salt crystals from the salt water all over the tables and I'm sure on the floor (which I can't really see since the floor is white tile - nice). The room also smells like warm milk. But, should you have a desire to make homemade ice cream here's how we did it:

Serves 3 hungry 8th graders:
1. In a quart sized double-zip ziplock bag add 2 C of half & half.
2. Add 1 tsp. vanilla
3. Add 1/4 C sugar
4. Zip the bag and put it into 2 more ziplocks (just in case it decides to explode, you'll be safe)
5. In a gallon sized double-zip ziplock bag add 4 C of ice.
6. Add 1/4 C rock salt to the ice.
7. Put in your triple bagged ice cream ingredients.
8. Add 4 more cups of ice on top
9. Add another 1/4 C. rock salt.
10. Put this bag into another gallon sized bag.
11. Mash and shake the bags with your hands (using winter gloves is recommended).
12. The longer you shake, the more solid it gets (so long as there's still ice in the salt/ice mixture).
13. Pull out of the bags, scoop into a cup, and enjoy.
***** After trying it today, I'd definitely say it would be worth it to get some oreos to top it off*****

The kids will love it! All 500 8th graders in my school did.

6 comments:

Erica said...

We make ice cream at girls camp every year using that recipe (or something close to it). It's actually really yummy!

I would love to watch you in your class. I bet you're an AWESOME teacher!

Unknown said...

I've added a few things to the shopping list Katie.

Cambrienelson said...

i agree with Erica-- what a cool teacher to make ice cream! Fun!

Cambrienelson said...

Not Cambrie, MOM here:
500 8th graders! You are a brave woman! Sounds nummy and fun (for them) ;)

Katie Groneman said...

Well... I only had 100 8th graders (33 at a time). I had a break with my 9th graders and was able to get some relief from the shaking-a-bag-of-ice cacophony that filled the room. The other 2 8th grade teachers only teach 8th grade, so they got to do it all day - lucky them.

Sylvia said...

It will be fun to see what you guys are up to. Its good to hear from you. I have been thinking about you lately.