Thursday, February 16, 2012

Rocking Chair Redo

I should re-title this, "Another project that I'm glad I finished before Lindy gets mobile and more demanding."

Our new house is our new obsession, and I admit I'm completely addicted to KSL classifieds looking for deals on awesome items that we'll need for our new house. We haven't accumulated much furniture (junk and textbooks, yes... furniture, no), so I've been looking on KSL for things that we need and that also could provide me with opportunities to learn new things. Behold... my first re-upholstery project!

BEFORE: $10 Rocking Chair from a lady in AF.



AFTER: New fabric, new batting, a bit of sanding, & 2 coats of spray paint




After all this, I decided the seat needed MORE padding. So I bought a square of chair foam and redid the bottom, which will be much more comfy (not pictured because I took the chair apart again after these photos so that it could be stowed under the bed until we move).

The pictures make it look better than it is :) I'm definitely an amateur - there's lots of wrinkles and puckers around the edges, but it will work, and it was my first project of this type.


(It seems like a few of my friends have been re-upholstering stuff lately, but I promise I decided to do this way before even reading about other people's crafty pursuits).

4 comments:

Holly said...

I really love that new fabric you chose. Paisley is one of my favorites. I am always intimidated by reupholstry, so I'm really impressed by your work. Great job!

Kristin said...

Way to go! I love the transformation! (And if you are referring to me as one of your "crafty" friends-Ha!-, I assure you I am happy you did it and I consider you more crafty than me! :) I get ideas from other people so keep on a-crafting so I can be more like you! :)

Unknown said...

I'm so impressed. I've never been that brave! Good work, Katie!

Marilyn said...

You go girl! Looks great!