Thursday, June 3, 2010

Last Day

So it's my last day at school this year. It hasn't really hit me yet...

It's been a pretty great year really. The first few weeks were absolutely crazy, and I've learned a lot about what I want to do differently next year. I'm going to be better organized and have things ready to go WAY earlier. I'm going to get desks instead of the big tables I had this year which took up too much space. I'm going to be better and getting those kids (9th graders particularly), under my thumb at the beginning of the year, and I'm going to keep on them as the year progresses. I found that either I got more lax or they got more comfortable being annoying by the end of the year. Next year I'm going to be much better at the discipline game.

I'm going to stress out about things less - if we have 5 min. of nothing at the end of the lesson it's not the end of the world. If something doesn't work out like I thought it would I'm
going to actually make a note of it so I don't repeat the same mistake (schtinank for those of you who speak Strong Bad).

I'm going to have 3 ring binders with page dividers and subheadings. I'm going to stop using post-it's as my main note-taking method. I'm going to buy a bunch of crates. I'm going to make labels and laminate them. I'm going to think of a better method for hanging stuff from my ceiling. I'm not going to yell as much (unless they really deserve it). I'm going to play more games. I'm going to dress up better for Halloween. I'm going to make my last period of the day clean my floors and straighten the desks. I'm going to have a filing cabinet that is in order and makes sense.

Most especially, I'm going to actually know what I'm talking about next year. Now that I've learned most of it for this year, I can try to go more in depth in my background knowledge. It really is unfortunate that I don't teach biology - I know that stuff. I don't know much astronomy... oceanography... meteorology... etc. It sure is a lot easier to teach stuff that you actually know about. I'm hoping to take a few courses this summer to round out my own education so that I can teach better next year.

There's always more to learn.

I'm sad that I didn't take a picture of my room with it all set up, but here's a view post mortem.


5 comments:

Gramps said...

Good thing these aren't New Years resolutions or I wouldn't believe you. Wait....when is Chinese New Year?......Oh...February...no problem.

Kristin said...

You're awesome Katie! I'm going to miss you this summer.
And I'm going to take a few of your tips myself! Great advice.
I wish I spoke StrongBad better... it's been awhile, but at one time I did a great Homestar impression!

Cambrienelson said...

Wow. You sound like a great teacher just from your new resolutions!
So What is Brett going to do to be a better husband of a teacher?????
Katie-- are you working in the lab over the summer? How does that work with teachers anywho? No job over the summer?
I'm excited to see you 2 in a few weeks! I miss your stinkin' guts!

Katie Groneman said...

Gramps: I don't think I've ever made official New Year's resolutions... Chinese or otherwise.

Kristin: I missed your Homestar impression? Oh Man!

Cambrie: Thanks! Brett's already perfect... I am planning on working in the lab although I'm not looking forward to the boredom. They need PRN people like me in the summer because of vacations. I'll work 3-4 shifts each week on average. It's not too bad, it's just not lined up with Brett's schedule very well (shocking!). I'm actually driving to Missouri with my sister Alison so I won't be here for some of your trip, which is totally lame. She's out here right now, and we've been planning since about Feb. having me drive home with her since her hubby had to go back earlier for school - I'm excited to go see where she's at, but sad I'll be missing the first part of your trip.

Holly said...

Katie, you're awesome. I think my favorite thing about school is that it has so many well-defined blocks of time, so you can always resolve to do better: the beginning of the year, the end of the first term, the end of the second term... it just goes on and on! You've inspired me to do a little more organizing and less yelling myself, as a matter of fact.

On a whole 'nother subject, I had a funny dream last night in which Brett came to our house and asked me to show him how to take a pregnancy test, then got mad when it kept coming back negative. I was like "Brett, if you were actually pregnant, it would be a very bad thing. You're NOT pregnant!" And he wasn't happy.

:)