Friday, December 18, 2009

They're taking a test

So, I'm blogging while my classes are taking a test today. Ha ha ha! Most of them are being pretty good, only the sounds of pencil marks and the Spanish classes singing carols in the hall (yeah, that part is kind of driving me nuts, since they are trying to take a test....). Oh well, hopefully they just hurry and finish the test so that we can get out there and the kids can sing with them - they really could use the help, I have never heard so many kids who are tone deaf (probably on purpose).

I've decided I really like 8th grade - the kids are a little bit nuts, but the content is a lot funner than my Earth Systems stuff. I feel like I'm boring myself in my 9th grade classes - so I can't really blame them when they look all glassy-eyed and day-dreamy. I need to come up with a fun lab that involves candy or something. I was thinking that when we start talking about weathering I could have them time how long it takes for the candy to dissolve if they just let it sit, if they rub their tongues on it, and if they chew it... Maybe that's reaching too far. All I know is that talking about the direction of the winds and the way toilets flush clockwise in the northern hemisphere and counterclockwise in the southern hemisphere is making us all clock out (no pun intended).

Christmas break is coming up, and I can tell you - teachers are waaaayyyy more excited about breaks than the students. I have a lot to plan for 3rd quarter during the break though, so that's not cool, but the more I can plan now, the more I can relax for the rest of the school year.

5 comments:

Cambrienelson said...

how funny that you can blog during class!
I never really thought about teachers being excited for Christmas break. I think that sometimes I forgot that teachers didn't live in their classrooms and read their textbooks all night long.
I'm excited to see ya'll tomorrow!

Christa said...

My kids are very interested in which direction the toilet flushes. They test it over, over, and over, see what happens if they put obstacles (such as hands) in the flow, etc. It's good to hear that they might get over that eventually. In the meantime, you can hang out with them and share the flushing joy any time.

Erica said...

You make me laugh, Katie. I bet your students love you.

Ted said...

Matthew asked me yesterday why he gets a groove in his candycane as he sucks on it. I should have responded, "Weathering!"

Kristin said...

Yay!! I'm so glad you have a blog Katie! I totally have blogged during school before- well- mostly during my prep, but sometimes you just need an outlet! Oh, tomorrow school starts. I guess let's get it over with!